Friday, April 30, 2010

New Orleans Revisited



I recently learned a great more detail about Francis Scott Key and the writing of the National Anthem.  There was so much I never knew and I was moved to tears to learn the details. The entire story would take pages to describe.  I will only mention that hundreds of British ships, virtually the entire British Navy fired 2,000 cannon balls weighing nearly 200 pounds each at Ft. Mc Henry occupied by Americans soldiers and civilians.  The British told the Americans that when our flag was pulled down they would know that the Americans were beaten and the bombardment would stop.  After hours of shelling, the stubborn Americans would not lower the flag.  The British in desperation ordered their gunners to aim for the flag.  As the flag was shredded and the flag pole damaged the Americans ran up a second flag.  When the damaged pole would no longer stand Americans volunteered for certain death to hold the flag pole up.  When the battle ended and the British withdrew, the flag pole stood at an odd angle.  You see the only thing that was holding the flag and pole were the bodies of  dead Americans who sacrificed their live to keep our flag from falling.
Perhaps this will add more meaning the next time you hear the National Anthem played or sung.  The words have even more meaning for me now.  When I think of more than 1 million Americans who have given their lives for this country and our Constitution to which each had sworn an oath to protect I must accept my responsibility to do no less.  I have taken the oath to protect the Constitution from enemies both foreign and domestic and have risked my life in uniform many times.  I have never fought for any thing more important than the battle that lies before us. 
Everyone should watch this video so they can be prepared for what is coming.  I will say this in as few words as possible.  I will not be enslaved and I will not be disarmed by ANYONE, I repeat ANYONE.  I will never start trouble and I will never be an aggressor.  I pray to God I will never be forced to defend myself from other Americans but I will not shrink from my duty.  Each of us must decide for ourselves what we will do if our remaining liberties are stolen from us.  What will you sacrifice to defend your children's freedom.  What will you risk to defend the Constitution.  When I think about the Americans who died to hold up the flag at Ft. Mc Henry I know what I must do.  I will work as hard as I can to help return our nation to Constitutional law and individual liberty through the political system.  If the effort, in which millions of Americans have recently dedicated themselves should fail, I will be prepared to defend the Constitution, my community and my self by other means.  Recall Katrina and be prepared,  and remember that what happened in New Orleans occurred when Bush was the President, not the would be Fascist who now occupies the office.  

No comments:

Post a Comment